General Filming/Production Update Thread

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: General Filming/Production Update Thread

Postby Boothby » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:14 am

...every person at work who has asked about the book has gotten more of an earful from me than they expected).
A few years ago, I was returning from a business trip on AMTRAK. The guy across the table from me was reading Ender's Game.

"Oh, I see you're reading Ender's Game. Do you like it?"

"I love it, it's a great book!" he said, without realizing what was about to happen.

"Ever wonder how the Battle School looks? Here, let me show you..." and I took out my computer and fired up the presentation. Poor bastard, he never even saw it coming. I think he's reading exclusively romance novels, now.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:27 am

At least in my case, I work in a library so it's not entirely unexpected that I'd go into a long spiel about why it's a great book. :mrgreen:
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Bonito_Reborn
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bonito_Reborn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:02 am

Jeremy Orbe-Smith
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jeremy Orbe-Smith » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:48 am

Some tidbits about the movie at a recent signing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_oJaA-y ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Fascinating stuff! Thank you, Jeremy!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm

It's interesting how he acknowledges some sort of connection between his novel "Lost Boys" and M Knight Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense," yet totally ignores the direct rip off of his book by "Nightworld: Lost Souls"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162104/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <--Lost Souls

http://www.amazon.com/Marked-Lost-Souls ... uls+marked" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Boothby

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Nice clip! :) I think this is all stuff that's come out in various places already though, right?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 am

Pretty much, yeah.

Butterfield and Ford are great actors (check)

Kids had to get in amazing shape, and we should all be proud of them (check)

Cirque du Soleil performers as stunt doubles for the Battle Room scenes (which I suggested almost 10 years ago) (check)

Cirdu du Soleil "battle belts" (from KA, which I helped design; belts AND show) as part of the tool-kit for Battle Room shoots (check)

No scenes from the book in the film, and vice versa (check)

Principal shooting concluded many months ago (check)

Ben Kingsley isn't Maori in the slightest, but he IS :bow: Ben Kingsley, so that will be fine (maybe this is a new statement...)
--Boothby

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Really insightful! I was a little nervous about how he said none of the scenes in the book are in the movie and vice versa, but now I like that idea better. It won't be forced, and I'll be watching something sort of new.

Though I would've loved to see the Battle Room fights, I agree that it'd probably come off as boring. I WAS bored during the Quidditch match.

Good to know he doesn't know anything about the Descolada yet. :lol: Now we know Bean's kids survive, but that was pretty obvious. I'm glad he's putting a lot of thought into Shadows Alive instead of doing sort of a rush job like it sounds like he might be doing for the last Maker book.
We can shed our skins and swim into the darkened void beyond
We will dance among the world that orbit stars that aren't our sun
All the oxygen that trapped us in a carbon spider's web
Solar winds are whispering, you may hear the sirens of the dead.

drobbins
Launchie
Launchie

Postby drobbins » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:52 am

There seems to be some more trouble brewing at Digital Domain.

I read weeks ago that they were imposing pay cuts on their employees, but I got further confirmation from a blog I follow called VFX Soldier.

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2012/11 ... -pay-cuts/

"The workers at Digital Domain have until this Monday to accept the pay cuts or be fired even though many of them are on productions and term contracts."

They have until Monday to decide.

Well see how this plays out.

-Darian

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:01 pm

If there is this much turmoil in what is left of DD (or in what they have transformed in to), AND Galloping Horse is still in the process of figuring out how to use DD assets to train Chinese students how to be VFX artists (read: "Cheap Labor"--even CHEAPER labor than what DD was hoping for in Florida!), then I cannot imagine that a November 2013 release is even remotely achievable.

Unless, of course, someone from ONE of the SIX Production Companies wants to release some sort of teaser to prove that they are on target.

From IMDB:

Production Companies
  • *Odd Lot Entertainment
    *Kurtzman Orci Paper Products
    *Digital Domain Media Group (now two: Reliant and Galloping Horse)
    *Chartoff Productions
    *Summit Entertainment
--Boothby

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Unless, of course, someone from ONE of the SIX Production Companies wants to release some sort of teaser to prove that they are on target.
While it would be reassuring, I still think it's early to get antsy about the lack of a trailer. It's still almost a year until November, and many movies don't release anything until much closer to their release date.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:06 pm

To be honest, after the huge crater in the road that the film production just tore through, it would be good if the production company gave out a little more info, don't you think? Trailer or no trailer.

These guys have a very small, but very dedicated fan-base. We're it. Those other "franchise" films had a heck of a lot more activity a year before their release. So, either our production companies are "doing it wrong," or they're ignoring us, or (perhaps) they're not really doing much of anything. I think if they had anything positive to add...they would have added it by now.
--Boothby

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:19 pm

I think a lot of the fanbase for Ender's Game is larger than we see here on pweb, even if it's pretty dormant compared to newer series. I know dozens of people who are quite excited when they here EG is being made into a movie.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 pm

Hmmm...you've got dozens. I've got 5. Maybe 6. So we're up to 30 or so....
--Boothby

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 pm

I've got several. That is, more than a few, but less than dozens.

The point is, for every one of us, there's a lot more EG fans out there who haven't found their way to pweb or hatrack. Hell, it's required reading at the school I teach at, so there's at least a couple of thousand kids in my area who are at least familiar with it.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 pm

The point is, for every one of us, there's a lot more Twolight fans out there who haven't found their way here. Hell, it's required reading at the school I teach at, so there's at least a couple of thousand kids in my area who are at least familiar with it.

Doesn't sound very promising. So...when does the marketing begin?
--Boothby

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 pm

speaking for a CA middle school...
PEOPLE NEED TO READ ENDERS GAME!!!
seriously like no one has read it (except for my friends since I made them btw they all liked it but none of them really got into the rest of the series.)
As for additional fans, I know one from choir and I am trying to get her to set up an account on pweb.
(I've said this before haven't I?)
-Terresa
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Here in cali, specifically northern, more specifically The greater Sacramento area, like most specifically yet...Elk Grove Unifiee Schol District, and most specifically (ok im done :angel: ) high schools; have Enders Game as required reading in English at sophmor level. Been that way for a while now so when I mentioned there was an Enders Game movie coming out my father (50ish), younger sister (20) and youngst brother (15) all knew what it was. I'm 27.

I know that this movie will do great I will see it at least 5 times when it comes out!! :thumbs:
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

kalmondo
Launchie
Launchie

Postby kalmondo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 am

Sadly, this is not true where I live. Almost everyone I talk to, I am introducing Ender's Game.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Sadly, this is not true where I live. Almost everyone I talk to, I am introducing Ender's Game.
So you get the joy of showing everyone the joy of the book
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

kalmondo
Launchie
Launchie

Postby kalmondo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:09 am

So you get the joy of showing everyone the joy of the book
Leaves me sparse on conversation topics though....sometimes I think I am the only one in Maine with good taste....It's not true, but it feels that way.

juliandelphiki
Launchie
Launchie

Postby juliandelphiki » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:17 pm

Despite living in the greater Sacramento Metropolitan area I completely understand. I don't meet many people (in person) who know of Ender's Game. Though I introduce it to as many people as I can. I originally started playing EVE because it was the closest thing I could get to EG online (Homeworld for single player). I've been keeping my corp mates up-to-date with movie information and will be trying to bribe as many people as I can into going and watching the movie.

as another person mentioned I figure I'll be watching it a few times as well. If there's a 3D version I'll be getting an IMAX ticket and I love going to the local drive ins.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:47 pm

The I.F. Sentinel webpage has updated with some awesome new propaganda posters.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Interesting, but I've seen them before...a lot of them (as one would expect) read eerily similar to Darian's posters.

And "Anti-Gravity Combat"??? Really? How about "Zero-Gravity Combat."

I've got to go and write/produce/direct my own science fiction movie before all these idiot advertising copy editors cause my brain to collapse.

Link:

http://www.if-sentinel.com/
--Boothby

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 am

And "Anti-Gravity Combat"??? Really? How about "Zero-Gravity Combat."
I guess I was just giving them the benefit of the doubt, saying that the weapons and techniques were using "anti-gravity" technologies... but I think you're probably right; I doubt they were being quite that clever, somehow.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:57 am

Despite living in the greater Sacramento Metropolitan area I completely understand. I don't meet many people (in person) who know of Ender's Game. Though I introduce it to as many people as I can. I originally started playing EVE because it was the closest thing I could get to EG online (Homeworld for single player). I've been keeping my corp mates up-to-date with movie information and will be trying to bribe as many people as I can into going and watching the movie.

as another person mentioned I figure I'll be watching it a few times as well. If there's a 3D version I'll be getting an IMAX ticket and I love going to the local drive ins.

That's just cause you dont know where to look for other fans. I live in Sac town, just 7muns out downtown. And I want to do DBOX seat at the folsom pladio as well as the Imax theater in el dorado hills. Iscuire imax is eh these days. But I know the feeling of pushing the movie to others. Its hard when people who i know have had to read EG dont know about the movie
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:56 am

There's something off-center about the "copy" in those posters. Almost as if they were farmed out to a generic ad agency with no stake in the film.

Or that could simply be my inner fan-boy showing its "it will never be good enough" streak.
--Boothby

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:52 pm

There's something off-center about the "copy" in those posters. Almost as if they were farmed out to a generic ad agency with no stake in the film.

Or that could simply be my inner fan-boy showing its "it will never be good enough" streak.
Well consider the post on Enders Ansible then I'd say the latter...lol :angel:
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 pm

How is that? All I did was point out a few physics-based inconsistencies with the poster.

Those guys had every opportunity to get a top of the line technical advisor; it's not my fault if they didn't.
--Boothby

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:51 pm

How is that? All I did was point out a few physics-based inconsistencies with the poster.

Those guys had every opportunity to get a top of the line technical advisor; it's not my fault if they didn't.
Never said your fault just saying the latter from your previous post
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:50 pm

http://blog.endernews.com/2013/06/5-bra ... r.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New character posters. I wasn't sure if these were the real deal until Hailee Steinfeld retweeted it and Asa Butterfield posted the link on Instagram.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:58 am

I have it from a reliable source (and I am reaching out to a second reliable source for additional confirmation) that Summit IS planning on releasing Ender's Game in 3D.

More as I find out.

BTW, my first source also said (as I did) that the alleged 3D effects in the "pre-trailer" were an "abomination."

(click on the settings button, and the 3D controls pop up right next to it)

And, more unfortunately, they screwed it up in the same exact way for the final trailer. So much for Quality Control.....apparently, they're letting children handle the editing.

Select "Mirror Split" and you'll actually get the "Cross-Eyed" view--though without the helpful dots at the top. Select Cross-Eyed, and you'll get Mirror Split, but WITH the dots you need to help with Cross-Eyed convergence. You'll get SOME scenes done right, but it seems like more than half are totally mis-handled. You'll see the left part of a title in one eye, and the right part of the title in the other. You'll see Anderson in one eye, and Graff in the other, etc. Really amateurish mistakes.
--Boothby

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:42 pm

just saw the final trailer yesterday....LOVE IT!!
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 am

[Deleted spamming new user]
--Boothby

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”