So, when do we get Ender's Game II

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
llappall
Launchie
Launchie

So, when do we get Ender's Game II

Postby llappall » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Having seen the movie, do you guys see a second one on the horizon?
What would it be like? Based on what?

I guess we'll have to see how strong it opens, moneywise. :)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Re: So, when do we get Ender's Game II

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:47 am

I've never really seen any viable sequel options for this regardless of how well it is received. There's no set up to continue with the Shadow books, and the Speaker books are way too contemplative and slow paced to make for big screen blockbusters.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:43 am

"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Interesting article on sequels.

Also: A mention of concurrent shooting of EG and ES. I never realized that they were even thinking about doing that (and--calm down--they didn't)

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/11/05/ ... txt0860001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Here's MY take on sequels and not sequels:

Ender's Shadow: Not going to happen. What's the market? The kids will outgrow their ages by the time any production might begin. NOT going to be a sequel.

SFTD: Too cerebral. Nothing to do with Ender as we've seen him; nothing to do with any other of the Battle School Jeesh. NOT going to be a sequel.

Xenocide: NOT going to be a sequel, en passante. Without SFTD and CoTM, why would you make it a movie?

CoTM: Card really should have stopped writing the quartet before this book. It read like a xenobiology textbook, except it was all made up. Sort of like a xenobiology textbook from Texas. What happens to Ender, Val2, etc. is only of interest to die-hard EG fans. NOT going to be a sequel.

Shadow Series: Buy the premise, buy the bit. I never bought the premise. Seemed like an effort to milk the characters for more books. I never felt there was any meaningful depth to these books. Teenagers as military leaders for all the earth's nations? Again: appeals only to die-hard EG fans. Teenage military soap opera...with a couple of choice quotes to keep the fan-base happy. NOT going to be a sequel.

Earth Unaware/Afire/Whatever: These books (well, the two out of the SIX that are out already) read like they are being prepared for filming right out of the gate (film-school & battle School play on words fully intended). Except that it really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Ender or his Jeesh. The Mazer Racham character is totally interchangeable with any maverick/hard-ass you choose. The aliens (Formics/Buggers) are similarly interchangeable with any invading alien hive-mind species. Prediction: In a few years, they will start making these into films, and they will have few meaningful ties to the EG universe. Audiences won't care that they have no ties to the EG Universe, but the action/adventure format will make them fairly popular. ONE film will be made from the series, it will do OK, and no further theatrical-release films will be made. The remaining two books from the original trilogy will be direct-to-Netflix.

Those are my predictions.
Last edited by Boothby on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:13 am

The future of a sequel to Lionsgate’s “Ender’s Game” remains in limbo, following a solid rather than specactular start for the sci-fi title.

Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer said Friday during a conference call with analysts that the studio will “wait another week or two” before it decides whether to make another film based on the Orson Scott Card series of 13 novels.

He also said that an “Ender’s Game” TV spinoff was under consideration.

“Ender’s Game” has taken in $32.5 million in its first five days at the U.S. box office and another $9 million overseas.

Feltheimer said that the film had been performing “virtually on base” with internal expectations. The film, starring Asa Butterfield, was financed in large part by OddLot Entertainment.
(cf. this).

My guess is one of the following:
"Fleet School", whatever that turns out to be.
Or Shadow series post-Ender's Shadow, with possible flashbacks (and different young-young actors) to fill in the back story. Personally, I like geopolitical flavor of these books (despite their lack of philosophical depth compared to the originals), and (most-of) the character arcs for Peter, Bean, Petra, and Alai. Virlomi and Suriyawong are also both fascinating. This definitely would appeal to the YA crowd outside of EG fandom, probably more-so than EG itself, since they are less cerebral and more action-and-romance-oriented.

None of the Earth _____ books seem to be YA targeted, so I can't imagine Lionsgate pursuing them.

Gavin Hood has come right out and said it won't be Speaker (or at least not as a next project), which we already basically knew anyway.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Endersgamefan
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Endersgamefan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I hope a second is made. The company said that they're going to wait two more weeks to see how the film sells. I hope it sells well, because it was an amazing movie. I tell all my friends to see it. :grouphug: :thumbs:

PetraVecchio_
Launchie
Launchie

Postby PetraVecchio_ » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 pm

I don't think so. With Thor and Catching Fire being released and the hype gone, it doesn't have much of a chance. I remember the original release date was in March. I wish they have kept the release in the spring. it wouldn't have much competition, thus have more room for success. It was good/decent adaptation, better than some other adaptations.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Here's the first official info I've heard regarding a sequel: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/14/e ... e-original
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

ridgesalcedo
Launchie
Launchie

Postby ridgesalcedo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:38 am

nope . no sequel.. the movie has merely gets its value...

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”