Pweb II: The Legacy/Scrapbook/Quotewall

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Pweb II: The Legacy/Scrapbook/Quotewall

Postby starlooker » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:54 pm

I've spent a great deal of time rummaging through Pweb Cache for posts of note that I made (more time than I'd like to say). The place was where I primarily documented nearly four years of my life, after all. So, this thread is for people who have specific posts or contributions (sad, snarky, clever, funny, angry, cute, whatever) that they want to remember. Or if you're browsing google cache and just find something funny, or something ironic given your current situation, or even if there's a post of someone else's that you think should not be forgotten. Put those here.

Basically, this is the Pweb II scrapbook.

(Feel fortunate that I'm not posting all the ones I've emailed to myself.)

(Sadly, I have yet to find my "Dear Bob" about learning how to ski from a congressman.)

Upon Seeing a Client in Practicum for the First Time (From May of 2003)

Bob,

Today I am a Counselor.

I'm so happy, Bob. I'm so happy. I feel like my real life is starting. I'm turning into a grownup, Bob, slowly but surely. A real, professional, personally powerful grownup. With a career ahead of me that I know I'll love. And a good, busy, productive summer less than a week away.

I'm so happy. Did I mention how happy I am? Happy in a hopeful, positive, optimistic kind of way. Not mountain top happy, or euphoric happy. Just happy in a kind of -- certainty. Certainty that this is right . All my doubts and insecurities are leaving, one by one. I chose well. This is for me. This is right. I can spend my life doing this. Researching, counseling, all of it.

In Regards to My 24th Birthday

*sighs*

In just a bit over a month, I'll be twenty-four.

Yup.

Twenty-four.

Two dozen.

If you go buy two cartons of eggs, with twelve eggs each, and take them all out and dye them and dry them off and make egg salad, but before you make egg salad you count them (assuming none break) that's how old i'll be.

And if you eat all that egg salad, made with twenty four eggs -- I don't know why you would; i'd rather just boil them. Or make scrambled eggs. Or share the egg salad with someone. But, just saying for argument's sake that you eat all the egg salad that twenty four eggs make, you'll feel very sick, because that's an awful lot of eggs. You'll feel twice as sick as if you just ate egg salad made with a dozen eggs, because it's twice as many.

*sighs again*

On talking to God about why I should be allowed into Heaven

Because I have never once in my life parked in a handicapped parking space, not even for five minutes to run inside at night real quick when it's raining.

However, if he starts drilling me on whether or not I've used disability-accessible bathroom stalls, I'm sunk.

The Want Ad of My Life
Wanted:

Motivation for everything that I know i need to do, and yet refuse to begin.

On The Topic of Noah's Ark
*sings*

The Lord said to Noah, "Build me an arky arky"
Make it out of gopher barky barky!
Children of the Lord...

Frankly,

"The Lord may or may not have told a man who may or may not have existed named Noah 'build me an arky arky'
But there's gonna be no geographic evidence for this little larky larky"

is nowhere near as catchy.

20-12-05
Dear You,

Please refrain from calling the cat "Icka-butt." His name is Ichabod.

Thank you,

Your Big Sister

My Dream Job on 4/17/03

a shrink. Only a GOOD one. Not one of those fake assaholics who try to pigeonhole people because they're afraid.

Also, i want to be a social activist, especially concerning mental health issues, but there are lots of other things i'd like to get more involved in.

And a famous author or columnist or something.

And have an autobiography that people love.

Or i'd like to be a fairy godmother. But that's only if the shrink thing doesn't work out, or i have a lot of money to spend... or both.

Ode to Rahl
OD, the odd mod god who had us overawed. We give him great respect and laud. He's clever and well shod. Not like Rahl, who was a fraud from planet Zod. God, he has a bod, shoulders very broad and is not a sod. Oh to walk where those feet have trod. Or to sit by the river and catch a cod with a fishing rod to put inside a coal-hod near Maud. He would smile and nod while shelling a pea pod with Tod.

There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:32 am

I prefer to live in the present, not the past, myself. The only thing I've used the wayback machine and caches for is to find a couple avatars and other tidbits of useful information for people.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:05 am

Not Found

The requested post was not found.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:06 pm

I like living in the present, too.

That doesn't mean I don't look at old photo albums.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:27 pm

Right, just so long as you don't spend so much time in the past that you forget about the present.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:54 pm

As if you don't like the past, Chico! You're the one with all the images saved!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:03 pm

^ what she said!

(and it's not like I don't participate on the new board. Be nice to my scrapbooking project.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:48 pm

How do you find this stuff? I've tried using the wayback machine, but that just leads me to dead links most of the time.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:43 pm

I prefer to live in the present, not the past, myself. The only thing I've used the wayback machine and caches for is to find a couple avatars and other tidbits of useful information for people.
You remind me of someone who wrote a paper about how we should eliminate all tenses but the present. Since, you know, we shouldn't live in the past, or think about the future... just be in the now.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:51 pm

Not Found

The requested post was not found.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:49 am

Nonsense, I'm allowed to be a hypocrite to prove a point. And if not, I should be.
The enemy's fly is down.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:49 pm

Not sure if this is quite what you meant this to be used as, but I found this thread, and it seriously changed my life.

http://web.archive.org/web/200207190858 ... hp?TID=110

Who knows if I ever would have found them otherwise!!

ah, and the diamond thread:

http://web.archive.org/web/200207192134 ... hp?TID=161

i *thought* that this was where the pencil-picking-up began, but i guess not. now i'm confused.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:00 pm

Thanks, Cath.

I found this early on in my *waves* thread (voted best thread in the pweb awards 2002!)
The ducks and monkeys are interbreeding, haven't you heard? dunkeys are everywhere! EVERYWHERE!!

... there's one biting my leg right now...
and this Bob one from a week after I started dating Paul:

Bob,
A dozen roses. Twelve red, beautiful roses. I can't believe it. They're so great. He's so great.... *sigh*.....

Just at the time when I'm feeling all stressed out, this wonderful gift appears in my room. I can't get over it. I've never gotten roses before... I've only gotten flowers once before this.

hmmm.... perpetual grin

...I think this one's a keeper.

Man, I'm all goofy.

-j.l.o.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:56 pm

Wow Cath...Some old, old names in there...and I thought the pencil picking up started in that thread too...*confused*

...I think this one's a keeper.
Man...how wrong were you???

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:19 pm

no kidding... :P

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:19 am

Wow... seeing names like Mekare and Fallenangel takes me back. But argh, my old posts! I still find I hard to believe I ever used "lol".

Also, I never knew Chibi had a Megatokyo avatar! I don't know how I missed that.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:23 am

Going through the old board I kept seeing post after post by ferret guy, man I had forgotten about him. He was such a major player for awhile, then he was gone.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:49 am

OMG i found my first pweb post. EVER. back when my member name was "Valentine Wiggin." from Ye Olde Pweb.

(don't judge. i was 18 years old!!!)
Topic: How did you come to read the Ender series?
Valentine Wiggin
Soldier posted 09-12-2000 10:22 PM
Hello fellow Ender-philes,
as i'm sure you will notice from my status (launchy), i am new here. indeed, this is my first post to The Philotic Forum.

The website in general is ingenious and i cannot thank it's creators and those who maintain the page enough, for they have finally provided me, and many other fans, with a large, informative website about the ever-popular Ender's Game that displays nothing short of excellence from both the crew and the exhuberant fans who people this forum.

whew!

that was quite a mouthful!

It so happens that i discovered Ender's Game in what, to me, was a very ironic manner. i created this topic so that i could share my "Ender Experience" with you, and also learn about yours. The people i have discussed this book with always have AMAZING stories about how they came across Ender's Game and how it touched them, what it brought to their life.

my "Ender Experience" (that's what my friends and i call it) was an intensely emotional one and before i get off on one of my rambling tangents (which i am apt to do) i would like to share it with you now.

i am determined to be absolutely honest.

i did not want to read Ender's Game.

i will even go so far as to say that i was /against/ reading Ender's Game.

but before you scold me in your indignation, allow me to tell you what did in fact persuade me to embark on this incredible literary journey.

i am currently a freshman student enrolled in ithaca college with a declared english education major. (for those who are interested, i am determined to bring the Enderverse into my classroom.) and, i am only 18 years old. (i almost feel as though i am degrading myself by saying /only/ 18, especially in an Ender forum, where it is an unspoken rule that age holds no reigns on intelligence. but that is a seperate debate. are you beginning to see what i mean about tangents?) ANYway. none of that is important to the story, at least not directly.

it's a ridiculously romantic tale, and it goes like this: There is a boy who i am very much in love with, and i flatter myself to say that he reciprocates. but unfortunately, we were destined to be separated because a year ago, Joey, that is his name, enlisted in the marines for a four year contract.

the week prior to his departure, he told me that he wanted one last favor from me, naturally i agreed, especially when he told me that the favor was to read his favorite book before he left. (i am an avid bookworm, and a lucky one at that, for i read exceptionally fast.) however, when he retrieved the book from his car and handed it to me, it was all i could do to keep my face from revealing my utter revulsion. a SPACE-SHIP on the cover of a novel? this is undoubtedly a dreaded :::drum roll:::: sci-fi book! oh how i detest science fiction! (please do not yell! my interests have since changed quite drastically)

but i looked at the book, and being a master bookworm i can spot the signs of a book well-loved. tattered cover, broken binding, dog-eared pages, a coffee stain or two...yes, Joey's copy of Ender's Game was one of the best-loved books i have ever seen. possibly rivaled only by my copy and your own.

so i swallowed my distaste for such nonsense and of course i agreed to read it. i took it home and was terribly sad, and stalled for a good hour or so. but curiousity was getting to me and i picked up the book, flopped down on my bed, and resolved to suffer through it for Joey's sake.

there was a pivotal line. page two of the author's definitive edition of Ender's Game reads: "It was a lie of course, that it wouldn't hurt a bit. But since adults always said it when it /was/ going to hurt, he could count on that statement as an accurate prediction of the future. Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth."

it is the 24th sentence in the novel.

and at that 24th sentence on the second page i stopped reading the book because Joey told me to, and i started reading it because it was the most wonderful and beautiful truth i had ever encountered.

i finished it in four hours, crying throughout, and then called Joey at five in the morning not even caring that i woke him up and sobbingly thanked him again and again. well he drove over (my mother was not exceedingly happy) and we had the most incredible discussion of a book that i've had to date. he didn't even need to tell me why he wanted me to read it. it was obvious.

there are many Enders in the world, i am sure. i'm equally sure that several of you reading this are Enders. but Joey was the first Ender i met, he's an Ender i love, and so he is the truest Ender /for me/. Joey is an Ender in every aspect that i can fathom. and i play Valentine to his Ender.

yes, i know. brother and sister were purely chaste. i'm not discussing the romantics of my relationship. i am Valentine to Joey's Ender. i have been his protector, his defender. i have loved him, believed in him, and stood by him when he would not even stand by himself. it is that side of Valentine that /i/ am. i am not an Ender. i wish i were. i wish that i could be that strong. but if i can be a Valentine to the Ender that i love, then that is enough for me.

oh my. i seem to have gone on for quite a while, haven't i?

to those (few) of you still reading, thank you for your time and patience, thank you for letting me open a window and share a part of myself with you, and thank you for being such wonderful incredibly intelligent and talented members of the Enderverse. i look forward to hearing about many other "Ender Experiences."

~Valentine

omigod can you even tell how nervous and desperate to impress i was?!?! ridiculous!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:20 pm

How do you find this stuff? I've tried using the wayback machine, but that just leads me to dead links most of the time.
I gave up on wayback. It was way too frustrating. I just did a search on google for my name an philotic web (or philoticweb) and then look for the ones that have "openbb" in the address. Then, instead of clicking the link, click below it where it says "cached." That means that google took a snapshot of it and it's still there. :)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:26 pm

Aw, man. Reading my old posts is like watching a car wreck.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:26 pm

Having read over your first post, Kelly, I am compelled to say,

**hugs**

You were adorable.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:33 pm

Something that I've always found funny is newbishness knows no age. I'm fairly sure if you'd been around for a few years before hand you wouldn't have posted it the same way.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby v-girl » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:07 pm

OMG i found my first pweb post. EVER. back when my member name was "Valentine Wiggin." from Ye Olde Pweb.

oh, kelly. gosh, i was 15 years old when i started posting. pweb first crashed when i'd been posting for less than a year, and even by then i was almost glad that the first pweb crashed. i was so glad to get rid of my "newbie" posts. i remember that someone found my first post for me, i still have the link somewhere, but i would never share my first post again.

all i can say is, thank goodness i'm not 15 anymore.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:18 pm

in all honesty, what makes me cringe most about it is all the naive gushy talk about joey!!!! hahaha, oh man. he's married with a 4 year old daughter now. and we were NEVER in a stable relationship. i mean, i loved the kid as much as i was able to at 16 (which is when we started dating). but wow. talk about letting your romantic inclinations run away with you, Kel. i was quite the little fool.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby v-girl » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:01 pm

i'm with you on that one, too. i was ridiculous talking about my relationship issues. that's mostly what i am embarrassed about, among other things. :oops:

but oh well, we can just write it off as being young. :)

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:17 am

Yeah, I was an idiot back in the day. Some would argue I still am, but at least now it's intentional. >_>
The enemy's fly is down.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”