Police Brutality

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:29 am

as i said before: the conversation was plenty good until you turned all abrasive.
Are you kidding? It got even better once the gloves came off. A tet-a-tet like this will keep me amused until someone with something worthwhile decides to comment ON TOPIC. Like I said, since the rest of the interesting posters are here during the day, I can come back tomorrow and respond. And I'm sure I'll find another way to rustle up some excitement then too. Might as well have the fun you can with what we've got.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:29 am

anthony, as i said before: the conversation was plenty good until you turned all abrasive.
Sometimes you scare me because I think you may not be joking.

Edit: Again, a lock requires a mod. I know of no way to reach one now.
Last edited by zeroguy on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:29 am

i smell a lock coming soon.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:30 am

sparkie: too true. anthony goes all abrasive and angry and the thread gets locked. I smell a ban coming, though that may just be wishful thinking.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:30 am

AB, my request was not made in sarcasm, it was made in sincerity.
And that's supposed to... what, make a difference?

I don't think Kel would appreciate you calling her "pretty one."
I don't think I would care.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:33 am

Alright, I posit that after the student resisted arrest and refused to cooperate or get up (if you can spout off about the patriot act, you can probably at least try to get up), the police had little option but to use more force, since he would not go willingly, and they likely would have had to drag him on the ground out of the library. If you notice force was not used untill he resisted repeatedly. By the looks of it, he was being too difficult for anything BUT excessive force to work. Do you really think he would have let them handcuff him and take him away without putting up a huge fight? Think about it.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:34 am

A lock? A ban? You people must be forgetting the good old days.

The worst thing I've said here is "I politely request that you die in a fire."

C'mon. The level of tameness in this thread isn't worth a mod's trouble, and we are still trying to have a discussion on the topic, we just have to wait until other people with something to actually say respond, at which point I can resume the normal, reasonable tack I was taking previously. Just because we've had a page of off-topic back-and-forth between myself and the tag-team of h_k and melonballerpunch (with special guest referees Young Val and eriador) doesn't mean the thread is beyond saving.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:37 am

As far as I am concerned, this thread is locked from here on.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:37 am

Alright, I posit that after the student resisted arrest and refused to cooperate or get up (if you can spout off about the patriot act, you can probably at least try to get up), the police had little option but to use more force, since he would not go willingly, and they likely would have had to drag him on the ground out of the library. If you notice force was not used untill he resisted repeatedly. By the looks of it, he was being too difficult for anything BUT excessive force to work. Do you really think he would have let them handcuff him and take him away without putting up a huge fight? Think about it.
A single tasering should be enough to let the cops put the cuffs on and pick him up. Two would be overkill, and five, way to many. If the cops were truly being reasonable, there would be no more than two taserings before they got him out of there.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:38 am

The cops should never have gotten to that point. When an impasse is reached in dialogue, and the subject remains unable to be reasoned with, immediate and effective force must be taken (I agree with that much.) But to whip out the taser, when clearly this 125 pound weakling isn't a threat to anything but the peace, is irresponsible. Without doing it slowly or stupidly (as these cops did), this punk should have been on the ground, cuffed, and carried out before he knew what happened. Not excessive force, but simple, effective takedown. Tasers exist to protect people's lives from situations where a gun would otherwise be used - not for the CONVENIENCE of a bunch of fat lazy cops too ill-trained to handle a single college punk.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:39 am

I have a great idea!

*reaches into a pocket and pulls out a box of tasers and passes them out*

AB, you get 2 since everyone is picking on you.

*runs from the room before anyone can taser him*

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:39 am

Anthony, you're being racist just because the cops were white and the student wasn't.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:40 am

But if he put up a fight, would the tasering have been in order. So if they were unable to simply cuff him and carry him out, should they have tasered him in order to do so?

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:41 am

But if he put up a fight, would the tasering have been in order. So if they were unable to simply cuff him and carry him out, should they have tasered him in order to do so?
IF he put up a fight (which in the video is unclear - it seems he is just mouthing off and resisting being carried away) then yes, the police would have been JUSTIFIED in tasering ONCE - but it still doesn't mean they HAD to. Even if he was fighting, and the possibility existed of him hurting someone, these cops should have been competent enough to subdue him even without tasers (which, of course, they had to do before the advent of tasers in the first place).

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:42 am

I wholeheatedly agree with you anthony.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:42 am

If they had tried to simply carry him out, he would have likely screamed, kicked, bit, squirmed, and whatever else he could to get out of it. Excessive force was the only way to subdue him to make him managable and to make sure that he didn't pose a threat to the cops (like kicking them in the face).

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:44 am

cuff him. he'd have trouble kicking if he had a couple of cuffs on his ankles.

EDIT: maybe the only way to do that would be to taser him, but as we said before, ONCE would be justifiable.
Last edited by eriador on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:45 am

True, good point.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:51 am

Good times, good times.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:54 am

I think we should taser everyone, just to give them character.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:57 am

I think we should taser everyone, just to give them character.
It is NOT a fun time. Cops are supposed to be tasered before they are allowed to use them, so they know exactly what it does to a person, but I have the feeling some of them weasel out of it. Pussies.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:00 am

I think we should shoot them with guns, too, so they know what it's like.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:01 am

i concur. I never wanna be tasered.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:03 am

I think we should shoot them with guns, too, so they know what it's like.
lol, reminds me of that scene from supertroopers.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:19 am

Wait. Don't cops have these long sticks? (i don't know how you call them in English)
A person can pretty much be disabled by an effective use of this tool. Disabled temporarily i mean. I have been show how to do it by my taekwondo master, who received training as bodyguard.

Police has the monopoly on violence. They are trained to exert violence. They should know better when it is excessive.
If the guy resists, hit him in the back side of the knee. He will kneel. Then cuff him. A single trained person should be able to subdue him.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:22 am

yes, but police in america aren't reallly that good.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:28 am

Wait. Don't cops have these long sticks? (i don't know how you call them in English)
Nightsticks. Or just "clubs" gets the idea across.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:29 am

Or Truncheons

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:30 am

A person can pretty much be disabled by an effective use of this tool. Disabled temporarily i mean. I have been show how to do it by my taekwondo master, who received training as bodyguard.

Police has the monopoly on violence. They are trained to exert violence. They should know better when it is excessive.
If the guy resists, hit him in the back side of the knee. He will kneel. Then cuff him. A single trained person should be able to subdue him.
Damn straight. Sometimes the sticks are called billy clubs, sometimes nightsticks, sometimes effectionately referred to 'AAAGH OMG STOP I'M NOT RESISTING.' But you are correct - a single trained officer should have been able to resolve the situation. Unfortunately, poor training, poor physical and mental preparation and shoot-first-ask-questions-later mindsets have crippled law enforcement.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:38 am

glad that blew over...

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:41 am

You have no idea how lucky you guys are to have me here. I want to thank all the little people, but I forget their names.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:41 am

don't jinx us...

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:38 am

AB, consider yourself warned.

And I might just skip the second warning and jump right to a kill evil ban. This being a capricious dictatorship, and all.

(p.s. thanks for pointing this thread out)

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:41 am

You know I care about you. I would never do anything to hurt you. I accept your judgement. I'm sorry I told helenberrycrunch "I politely request that you die in a fire." I promise, I didn't mean it.
Last edited by AnthonyByakko on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:18 am

I have to say, I enjoyed this thread immensely. AB's got more mood swings than a pregnant bipolar woman.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”