Soulmating

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Do you believe in Soulmates?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 25

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Soulmating

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:13 am

I'm curious what people think about the concept of soulmates.
Do you believe that there is only one person for you, for anyone?
Is it possible to know if you've "found" that person? Is that the only person you can be happy with?

Or is it that there are many people you could be with?

...discuss.

I'll add my opinion soon.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:22 am

Definitely not, simply because if two people got it wrong then the whole damn system would be muffed up for everyone else.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:36 am

I don't believe in it, primarily because if there really is only one person for you, you will never find that person. There are 6 billion people on the planet, what is probability of your coming across that one person?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:37 am

And if you're somehow fated to meet that person, how come so many people don't?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:38 am

I said no. I don't think that there is only one person in the world who can be "the one". I think there are definitely lots of potential soulmates out there, it's just whether we'll meet and if the timing will be right.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:39 am

I don't believe in it, primarily because if there really is only one person for you, you will never find that person. There are 6 billion people on the planet, what is probability of your coming across that one person?
Agreed.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:44 am

I said yes to the question because I believe in "friend" soulmates. The romantic type soulmates I don't know about, but tend to doubt.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:56 am

Well, if you believe in soulmates you pretty much have to believe in fate/destiny as well, which explains why soulmates meet each other.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:07 pm

I believe in soulmates... but is not as if you are fated to one person. Becoming soulmates is a process, as i see it. As you develop a relationship from an initial crush, two people can become soulmates.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:52 pm

I believe I have found my soulmate, or at least someone who shares my interests and loves me no matter what. Isn't that what everyone wants?
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:44 pm

Not Found

The requested post was not found.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:49 pm

I'd find it too convient if my one and only soul mate happens to also be geographically near by.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:49 pm

I believe I have found my soulmate, or at least someone who shares my interests and loves me no matter what. Isn't that what everyone wants?
Not really.

Personally my soulmate would be a gal with big babylons and a high-paying job that leaves me free to laze about all day.

I know Hege's idea of a soulmate would be a woman who could fry food on her stomach a la Hot Shots.

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:59 pm

I think there are certain qualities in people (friends/lovers, whathaveyou) that you appreciate and qualites that make you angry. I think when you meet someone, you are attracted to them for what you see (or learn or whatever) and then, when you get to know them better, you choose to love/befriend them.
That said, if soulmates did exist, I believe I've found mine.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Dink_Meeker
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Dink_Meeker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:36 pm

Soulmates! The very idea is stupid, stupid, stupid. Who needs 'em anyway? I've got my right hand!!!!
When everything seems to be going wrong with your world, it is then that I point and laugh.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:07 pm

That's all well and good until the day you injure your right hand and must use your left, then a messy love triangle ensues... And I do mean messy! :lol:

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:24 pm

:roll:

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:08 pm

I used to.
I said no.
Holidays are depressing.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:36 pm

That's all well and good until the day you injure your right hand and must use your left, then a messy love triangle ensues... And I do mean messy! :lol:
open marriage is so much more elegant.

wait, you can't marry a hand, can you :(

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:03 pm

I used to consider the notion of soul-mates at times. But lately I find that the idea of soul-mates is probably over-rated. I don't know if they exist or not, for they very well might. But rather, I think that it isn't important whether or not they exist. I do suspect, though, that if one does believe in soul-mates and allows the idea to become too important, they are more likely to not find their soul-mate out of fear that whomever they find will be the wrong person, or not quite the most-right person. It is probably better to live with the understanding that soul-mates may exist and carry on with living and hopefully you find him or her along the way.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 pm

I think I need to believe in soulmates, so I do. But I believe in them in the way that jota mentioned, more than anything. The little Connor in my brain (character) won't let me think otherwise.

As you grow and mature and spend time with a person, I think that you can end up becoming soulmates. That's why people don't just up and leave their spouses whenever another potential soulmate rolls along.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:20 pm

I said this in PWeb II, and I'll say it again.

I feel that soul-mates are made, not found.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:25 am

I said this in PWeb II, and I'll say it again.

I feel that soul-mates are made, not found.
Wisely said friend. Im sure that ive met several girls that were almost soal mates. But either onething kept it from working or the timing was off.

But honestly, i hope that i dont find a soalmate very soon. Dont get my wrong (girls can be great to have around, way better than your right hand). I really am not ready for any kind of steady relationship, ive seen to many guys that just forget their dreams (or make new ones...) when they get that tied down. And i guess that sorta scares me.

Theres just too much that i need to get done with my life before i settle down. I do think there is one exception to this though, hey you never know, but maybe ill find a girl with similar enough dreams to mine. That would be sorta cool. Ive seen some married (architect) couples that have gone on to do some really cool stuff together.

So maybe if i can find a girl that is compatable AND has a career that compliments mine, then i will consider settling down...

Miss Abbie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Miss Abbie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:23 am

Except for the switch of hoping to find a him or her instead of the one, I'm with Rei. She brings up an interesting idea of what potentially arises from such a strong belief in them--faith in soulmates to the point where there is always the question of whether a good match is the best match is just silly, I think.

Also, I suppose, if you're convinced that a certain person is your soulmate and it ends up not working out, well, that's got to be even more depressing than a normal (if you will) breakup.
If you ever find yourself reading a book entitled The Bible, you will find yourself reading the story of Adam and Eve, whose daring lives led them to put on clothing for the first time to escape from the snake infested garden in which they were living.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:58 am

Abbie, Rei is not a she.

I'm honestly surprised at the responces here, I expected more people to be on the "yes" side.

I'm firmly on the No side. Thinking that you've found that the only person you can be with causes nothing but pain.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”